What is a Rolling Tray?
Trays are an awesome tool to help you perfect and streamline your rolling process. They are designed to keep all your smoking accessories and legal herb in one place. This handy smoking accessory can be as simple as one flat surface or have intricate builds with sections and compartments. Most trays have raised edges and sunken surfaces to help create the perfect shape to hold any loose herbs. Custom rolling trays come in many different designs and sizes, but you will often see rectangular pieces as this is the standard shape.
Table of Contents
Why Every Smoker Needs a Rolling Tray
Papers, lighters, filters, and other rolling accessories are often small and easy to misplace but with a tray, you always know where your smoking supplies are when you’re ready to roll. Trays also make it easy for you to gather any stray smoking herbs in one place instead of losing them (and your money). When you use a tray you’re also saving the other surfaces in your home from being at risk of getting sticky or dirty over time.
In addition to being a super helpful smoking tool, trays are also a fun way to show your personality! Your tray says something about you, so make sure you’re saying it right. Some trays are so extravagant that they become true, collectible art pieces. The seemingly endless variety of designs and custom options also makes trays a great personalized gift. No matter what your friend or family is into, there is bound to be a tray to suit their personality.
What Types of Rolling Trays Are There?
Metal Rolling Trays
Metal trays are durable, tend to be an affordable option, and you can find them in just about any size and design that you’d like. While metal trays tend to be less fancy or elaborate than their more expensive siblings, they are functional and can be fun to collect.
- This metal RAW tray is a good example of a classic piece. It measures 11” x 13” and is made from durable, eco-friendly materials. This tray has a mouth-watering donut design, but you can find these metal RAW trays in almost any size, shape, or design.
- Another fun option is this large orange metal tray from Zig Zag. If you want more space to house your accessories then this piece might work well for you. This tray has the classic raised edge design with the iconic Zig Zag "Slow Burning" logo for some added flair.
Wooden Rolling Trays
You will often see wooden tray designs that have more elaborate features and details. There are flat surface wooden trays with no customizations that are less common, but usually there will at least be a compartment carved in a wooden piece. A more complicated wooden piece might be difficult to travel with, but if you have the room to take it with you, it can usually house a lot. Typically, wooden trays tend to cost a little more than plastic or metal.
- For example, this extravagant bamboo RAW rolling tray has a lot to offer. This piece is made up of three detachable, magnetic panels so you can go big or small. With all the pieces together, the tray measures 19.75″ x 10.25″ x 1″. This tray can also be compacted into a small box that is easy to travel with.
Plastic Rolling Trays
Plastic trays are usually an affordable go-to. Though they’re not as durable as pieces made of wood or metal, they still function well. Some plastic pieces even have intricate features and storage space. Bonus: They are easy to travel with.
- These fun plastic trays by Skunk are dessert themed and come in lemon cake or cherry pie flavors. They are acrylic and feature a simple rolling surface with an additional breakaway storage piece that gives you more options to roll and organize your supplies. Take the mini piece with you if you’re on the go.
Glass Rolling Trays
While not all glass pieces are made equal, you can find some incredibly thick, durable glass pieces that will both wow your guests, and stand the test of time. You can find glass trays in many different sizes, but they may be a little less practical to travel with than metal or plastic, so it depends on your needs.
- This mini RAW glass rolling tray is durable and scratch resistant. It is made with double thick glass and measures 4″ x 6″ in size, so it’s perfect to take with you. While this doesn’t have any compartments or add-ons, it is a timeless, solid piece that makes a great addition to any collection.
- Another good option is the glass rolling tray from RooR. They come in options of 6 inches x 10 inches, 4 x 6, and 4 x 4. These trays are handmade to order. They are durable and scratch resistant, made from lab-created borosilicate glass. The classic, translucent design will never go out of style.
Which Rolling Tray Should I Use?
There are so many types and brands of rolling trays, that choosing one can get overwhelming. We put together a list of the most popular rolling trays and the pros and cons of each so that you can make the best choice for yourself. But before you start your search, you should have a clear sense of what your rolling needs are. Here are a few basic questions to assess your needs:
- What size work space do you use? Do want a large piece that could also possibly be decorative or have more storage components? Or would a small piece suit you better? If you plan to travel with the tray or don’t want it to take up a lot of space then a small/mini tray might be better.
- How much do you roll? If you have a stockpile of accessories that you like to have with you, it might be more important for your tray to have storage features. Some trays also have holes so you can keep what you’ve rolled upright and safely stored.
- What’s your budget? If you’re rolling on a budget, then cheap rolling trays will get the job done. However, if you want to splurge, you might want to look into the high-end glass rolling trays from brands like ROOR.
Don’t give up hope, your perfect rolling tray is out there. Whatever your preferred smoking herbs are, rolling trays are a necessity for every smoker. Spiff up your smoking kit, and enhance your rolling routine. We love hearing from you! Tell us in the comments below what your favorite rolling tray brand is. Then post a picture and tag us for a chance to be featured on our social profiles!